Monday, June 23, 2008

Updates

So here's the deal:

As you can see, not many posts recently, so I should fill you all in as to what I've been up to (besides not updating my blog).

Work is finally starting to settle into a bit slower pace (watch, now that I post this the fecal matter will hit the fan) so I might finally have the time to slow down a bit and work on a few projects that have my name all over them. Work has started on a patio off the back of the garage that will include a walking path to the base of the stairs on our deck. So besides working long days providing tech support for a conference at work, I have been clearing sod, rough grading, and as of today I hauled off the sod carcasses and started hauling in sand to level and raise the base for the patio (before everything slopped towards the house, now the grade should promote drainage in the opposite direction- not that we had flooding issues before as we are situated on 300-400 feet of sand before any bed rock comes into the picture, but it is a matter of principle).

I will work on snapping a few pics of the work in progress, but I don't plan on slowing down until it is done, so perhaps my bride will have to catch me in the act. (patio WILL be in place in time for the annual July 4th BBQ extravaganza).

Also finally got around to picking up a water softener since the house doesn't have one (It was on sale). So I need to find time to install that as well (the idiots that built this place didn't even include a hook up for a softener which is asinine in this town. So of course this means finding time to cut into the house's water supply and not stopping until it is done (or we have no water).


Last Saturday I shot a wedding that was held at the Arb. It was a beautiful day for an outdoor wedding, and the sky had a wonderful deep blue color with an occasional picturesque cloud or two (and the filters I used had nothing to do with it- sort of). The time of day was not ideal for lighting, but I was able to take advantage of some of the structures (pergolas, arbors, and the famous "upside down boat") to soften the harshness of the mid day sun. I would post a few pics, but I need to do some sorting, brief editing, and as a general rule of thumb the first person who gets to see the pictures is the bride (and groom if she is willing to share). I particularly enjoyed the fact that more and more, brides and grooms are interested in photo journalistic shooting (personally I despise the contrived fabrication of formal portraiture when it comes to event coverage- there are some people that thrive off of it, but personally I prefer to shoot a wedding as if I am not even there). There will always be the formal shots, but usually I am able to find people in their element and, although the likelihood of a candid extended family photo is less likely than winning the lottery, it is usually the photos of people living and enjoying the moment that win the favor of the bride and groom.

A bit bummed that I missed my brother's birthday celebration (due to the afore mentioned wedding), but that's what he gets for celebrating a week ahead of time (I know, I know, everyone but the slacker St. Peter Dobo's were running the full or half marathon, so it makes sense that you just do it when everyone is in town since the price of gas nowadays makes you think twice before expecting people to travel more than we use to- probably has more to do with the fact that sister Andrea is in London for work, and happened to be state side to see her hubby follow thru on his quest to run the full Marathon). For what it's worth- Happy Birthday Jake!

Before I turn it in for the night, I should mention (since I already have) that any friends and family who can swing it are more than welcome to come on down to St Peter for the festivities on the 4th. If you want to be all hard core the guys (Myself and Jonathan, although we hope to rope at least Bryan into the ritual as he needs to be schooled on the use of his rig, since it is the same as mine) will be firing up the Pit in quasi Texas style the day/night before and pay homage to Man's long history of cooking large hunks of meat over fire for many hours (what more could you want, fire, beer, and many hours of male bonding in an attempt to not fall asleep and have the fire go out). We have this nasty habit of cooking way more food than what is needed to feed those who have come in the past, so seriously, if you can make it, we would love to have you (post a comment if you think you might make it and I will follow up with details, or send me an email). If there are a lot of takers, I will find a way to haul Bryan's pit down and double up on the meat cooking. More details to come.

(I am leaving golf out of this post since a little birdy (no pun intended) pointed out how my blog thus far has revolved around that livelihood. (perhaps the next post)

4 comments:

Jenny | The Balow Bunch said...

By calling out the fact that you're not mentioning golf in you're post, you are still mentioning golf in your post. ha-ha

Matt said...

Yeah, I know, but what can I say- I tried.

Gigi said...

The patio is looking good honey! I would like to take a moment and comment that I have helped here and there with the patio project, maybe more as the cheering section and one who continues to run the rest of the household while you battle the sand :)

JPKraatz said...

Monica says thank you for generously only calling her a "birdie" instead of something a little more... colorful for all the grief she gave you.